- The FA system served by The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc provides emergency food for an estimated 183,500 different people annually.
- 30% of the members of households served by The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc are children under 18 years old (Table 5.3.2).
- 42% of households include at least one employed adult (Table 5.7.1).
- Among households with children, 83% are food insecure and 39% are food insecure with very low food security (Table 18.104.22.168).
- 21% of clients served by The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc report having to choose between paying for food and paying for utilities or heating fuel (Table 6.5.1).
- 19% had to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care (Table 6.5.1).
- 13% of households served by The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc report having at least one household member in poor health (Table 8.1.1)
- The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc included approximately 416 agencies at the administration of this survey, of which 349 have responded to the agency survey. Of the responding agencies, 264 had at least one food pantry, soup kitchen, or shelter.
- 62% of pantries, 56% of kitchens, and 38% of shelters are run by faith-based agencies affiliated with churches, mosques, synagogues, and other religious organizations (Table 10.6.1).
- Among programs that existed in 2006, 76% of pantries, 81% of kitchens, and 68% of shelters of The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc reported that there had been an increase since 2006 in the number of clients who come to their emergency food program sites (Table 10.8.1).
- Food banks are by far the single most important source of food for agencies with emergency food providers, accounting for 81% of the food distributed by pantries, 49% of the food distributed by kitchens, and 38% of the food distributed by shelters (Table 13.1.1).
- As many as 83% of pantries, 82% of kitchens, and 67% of shelters in The Hawaii Foodbank, Inc use volunteers (Table 13.2.1).
Special Collections are curated collections of research that addresses a specific topic or research question.
Knowledge Centers are a custom service of IssueLab providing organizations with a simple way to manage and share knowledge on their own websites.